For Our Students
- Aspect Ratio
- This article briefly discusses aspect ratio, what it is and how to use it.
- Chain Weave Names and Aliases
- The names that I use for the various chains are in bold, and aliases that I am aware of are in normal type.
I generally use the first name that I knew for the chain, or what I think is the most common name.
In some cases, e.g. names like "This is not Food" or "Rhinos Snorting Drano",
I use a name that is easier to explain to customers.
- Class Exercises - These are some of the chain making instruction sheets
we have developed for use in our classes:
- Electro-Etching Information
- Preparing a Vinyl Resist
- This is a short tutorial on preparing a metal blank with a vinyl resist for electro-etching.
It starts with a design already cut into vinyl and a prepared metal blank. It ends with a package ready to be hung in the etching tank.
- Electro-Etching Copper Earrings Workshop
- This is the handout for my Electro-Etching Copper Earrings Workshop.
It contains general information on using salt, copper sulfate, or cupric nitrate for the electrolyte,
and etching copper, brass, bronze, aluminum, nickel silver, and silver.
- Hydraulic Press Workshop
- This is the handout for my Hydraulic Press Workshop from 2013.
It contains general information on the hydraulic press and covers the tooling we had available
at the Crafts Center at that time.
- Jump Ring Estimate Tools - These tools can be used to estimate the
number of jump rings that can be cut from one foot of wire, including
the maximum length of wire that will fit on a mandrel,
or the minimum inches of wire needed to cut X jump rings.
- Making Large Jump Rings
- This article describes how to construct a coil holder for cutting large
diameter (3/4 inch and larger) jump rings.
- Polishing chains
- This article describes how to polish chains using a tumbler.
- Reference Sheets - Here are some of the reference sheets we have
developed for use in our classes:
- Tools for a Chain Studio
- A brief look at tools that are useful in a chain studio.
- Winding Coils with Non-round Wire
- This article describes how to construct a simple tool to assist in winding coils of non-round wire for making into jump rings.
- Working with Jump Rings
us if we may be of assistance to you.